Cleaning up Your Twitter Account


Cleaning up Your Twitter Account
Cleaning up Your Twitter Account 
This is something I have begun to do with my account. Up to now, I have been following everyone who
follows me but I have begun to realise this is the wrong move for several reasons.
One, it doesn’t look professional to be following spam
accounts and it shows a certain degree of “I’m so
desperate for followers that I’ll follow the spam bot with the
bikini picture”.
Second, following everyone just creates too much noise.
There are people with 15,000 – 20,000 users. How can you
possibly follow, track and answer 15,000-20,000 people all
at once? Simply put, you can’t.  Plus if you’re following
spam accounts too, the real Twitter users are being drowned out with offers of free marketing reports,
special discounts on a wide range of crap and so on.
Third (and this is just my personal opinion), Twitter is all about connecting with people on a personal
level. Why follow people who are not interesting to you and who are not saying interesting things
relevant to you? Just cut all that out and follow people you are genuinely interested in what they have
to say. Suddenly you will find your Twitter experience to be a much nicer one.
Obviously when you have several thousand built up like I do, it becomes more and more difficult to
clean out the account without devoting several hours to it. But here’s the best ways to get started.

If you are a Firefox user, use the Greasemonkey script, Twitter User Classify
35                                                     

the top of every Twitter user page whether that person is considered to be a spammer or not.
They base it on the number of followers, the number of people that person is following back,
the number of Tweets and I’m sure a few other factors. This won’t help you clean up your
current list but it will help you in the future to avoid spam accounts